The Madrid's community It is a very attractive destination for motorhome travelers. Beyond the capital, its good road connections make it easy to plan routes to get to know the most wonderful places in the region, where natural landscapes, historic municipalities and monuments that are declared World Heritage Sites.
In Áreas Autocaravanas We have prepared a selection of charming proposals that will not leave you indifferent. How could it be otherwise, we will also recommend the best places to spend the night with your vehicle. We assure you that you will enjoy your motorhome trip through the Community of Madrid!
An encounter with nature in the Community of Madrid: the Sierra de Guadarrama
The Sierra de Guadarrama It houses a rich variety of natural systems with all kinds of fauna and flora of important biological value. It is part of the Central System and has some of the highest peaks in the entire Iberian Peninsula, among which Peñalara (2,428 meters) stands out.
Another of the natural attractions of the Sierra de Guadarrama is La Pedriza, the largest granite complex in all of Europe, with impressive geological forms. Walk or cycle the Path of Forms, a perfect plan with family or friends. Nor can you leave the Sierra de Guadarrama without visiting the lozoya valley, which many know as "the jewel of the Guadarrama".
In the surroundings of the Sierra de Guadarrama is located the Camper Area Sierra Madrid, very close to the places of interest in the area and available for motorhomes, caravans, campers and minivans.
Municipalities to visit in the surroundings of the Sierra de Guadarrama
In the north of the Community of Madrid there are some of the most beautiful towns in Spain to visit by motorhome or other vehicle. These are the essentials:
- Buitrago de Lozoya. Heritage and nature are combined in this municipality surrounded by the Lozoya River, which lends it its name. It has a medieval wall, the best preserved in the community and declared a National Monument and Historic-Artistic Site. This wall gives access to the historic center. In his case, it has been declared an Asset of Cultural Interest.
- Manzanares El Real. Very close to the aforementioned Pedriza de la Sierra de Guadarrama. Its great tourist attraction is the Castillo de los Mendoza, one of the best preserved in Madrid and declared a Site of Cultural Interest and Historic-Artistic Site.
- San Lorenzo de El Escorial. The slope of Mount Abantos has one of the most visited monuments in the Sierra de Guadarrama: the Royal Monastery and Site of El Escorial, one of the great artistic exponents of the country and declared a World Heritage Site, which is located in a charming town and It is surrounded by lush forests with typical species of the Iberian Peninsula.
- scratcher. It is considered one of the most beautiful towns in the Community of Madrid, in addition to being surrounded by hiking trails and climbing areas in the Lozoya Valley area. Its cultural claim is the Royal Monastery of Santa María de El Paular, predominantly Gothic in style.
El Hayedo del Montejo, natural heritage of the Community of Madrid and Humanity
The Sierra del Rincón Biosphere Reserve It has in the Hayedo del Montejo its main natural jewel. Its trees reach 20 meters in height and are centuries old, which has earned it recognition as a Natural World Heritage Site.
If you want to visit this photogenic place, don't forget to book your appointment, since it is the only way you have to get to know this place of beautiful landscapes. If you are going to arrive by motorhome or other large vehicle, keep in mind that this area of the Community of Madrid is characterized by its narrow roads.
Greenways in the Community of Madrid
Throughout the region, we will highlight three greenways to follow on your Madrid adventure, which follow old railway lines:
- Guadarrama River Greenway, highly recommended in spring.
- Greenway of the 40-day Train, between Carabaña and Estremera.
- Tajuna Greenway, between the towns of Arganda del Rey and Ambite.
The majestic Aranjuez
To the south of the Community of Madrid, almost reaching Castilla-La Mancha, the town of Aranjuez is surrounded by rivers, flowery gardens and the splendid Royal Palace of Aranjuez, Renaissance style. Without a doubt, it has been the main reason for the cultural landscape of Aranjuez to be declared a World Heritage Site.
To get to Aranjuez by motorhome, you have the option of leaving from the south of Madrid, where the Las Cigüenas Motorhome Area.
Chinchón, one of the most famous towns in the Community of Madrid
The town of Chinchón preserves the essence of different eras, in which you can immerse yourself with a one-day visit. The Plaza Mayor of medieval origin, with its 234 balconies, is one of the most visited in Spain and is considered one of the seven wonders of the Community of Madrid. In its surroundings there are old stately homes, which you will identify by their coats of arms.
Other monuments of interest are the remains of the old castle, the Clock Tower and the Church of Our Lady of the Assumption, whose main altar is dominated by a painting by Francisco de Goya.
You can also get to Chinchón from the Storks Area.
Alcalá de Henares, birthplace of Cervantes
Our last stop is Alcalá de Henares, very close to the province of Guadalajara. Its historic quarter has also been declared a World Heritage Site, as it was one of the great epicenters of the Spanish Golden Age. This is demonstrated by his prestigious university, the birthplace of Miguel de Cervantes and the different churches and convents.
With Holy Week the Spring Festival begins in Seville. Its date varies each year, as it is according to the first spring full moon. However, almost from the month of January the preparations prior to the great event that will take place for seven intense days begin. get to know this historic city of the Community of Madrid with your motorhome, you can also leave directly from the capital, thanks to the Las Cigüeñas Area, available in our platform of areas and spaces.